John T. Scopes
(3 Aug 1900 - 21 Oct 1970)
Butler Act - Repeal
Tennessee House Bill No. 48 (1967)
An Act to repeal the Butler Act that had prohibited the teaching of evolution
STATE OF TENNESSEE
PASSED BY THE
EIGHTY - FIFTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
CHAPTER NO. 237
House Bill No. 48
(By Smith, Galbreath, Bradley)
Substituted for: Senate Bill No. 46
AN ACT to repeal Section 498 - 1922, Tennessee Code Annotated, prohibiting the teaching of evolution.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee:
Section 1. Section 49 - 1922, Tennessee Code Annotated, is repealed.
Section 2. This Act shall take effect September 1, 1967.Passed May 13, 1967
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Frank C. Gorrell,
Speaker of the Senate
- Science Quotes by John T. Scopes.
- 3 Aug - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of Scopes's birth.
- Butler Act - Tennessee House Bill No. 185 (1925)
- 17 May - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of repeal of the Butler Act.
- 21 Mar - short biography, births, deaths and events on date of enactment of the Butler Act.
- Center of the Storm: Memoirs of John T. Scopes, by John Scopes. - book suggestion.
- Booklist for Scopes Monkey Trial.